WINTER DOUBLES RULES & INfo
Season begins Friday Nov. 10th and runs through March 1st on Fridays from 9-11pm (no play on 11/24, 12/22, and 12/29 due to the holidays).
Lakeshore Sports & Fitness (LSF) will be our host again this year.
We will continue the Teams format of 2, 3, or 4 players per team.
Due to a decision made by the Lakeshore owners and senior management team, unfortunately contractual court time cost will be increasing this year again, this time an increase of 25% per hour. This applies to even LSF members, not just us. To cover this substantial cost increase, the cost will now be $750 per team, regardless of the size of the team. We realize this is a large year-over-year increase, but Winter Doubles runs as a ZERO net league, so all team fees go directly towards paying for court time and league costs. On a positive note, we are not being charged any monthly club membership dues, which have also gone up over 20%. So we suggest you take advantage of the team format to minimize the cost increase per player!
You also must have a valid AAC annual membership to register ($25 annually but allows you to register for any SCT events/leagues or any other sports leagues under AAC).
4 different divisions (Open, A, B, C) with 8 teams in each division. We will try to honor division requests but may have to force rank the teams based on past SCT and GLTA results, in order to balance out the divisions. Your division request will not be valid until at least 2 people have completed registration and payment.
Match format will be best out of 3 sets, with a 10 point super tiebreaker as the 3rd set.
During a match, teammates can make substitutions as many times as they would like, but ONLY during changeovers. That would allow all teammates to play if everyone shows up!
There will be 7 round robin matches for each team over the 14 week regular season. Teams will generally play every other week.
All teams will qualify for playoffs, which will be in early March: quarterfinals on 3/8 or 3/9 depending on division; all division semifinals and finals on Sat. 3/16
Even with the Team Tennis format, we will still allow substitute players to sign up for the season for a $35 registration fee.
Any free agents looking for a team? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help find you a team!
Are you new to SCT? If so, email us at email@example.com and we can help facilitate proper division choices and help you find a team if needed. And give you a warm welcome!
WHICH DIVISION DO I BELONG TO?
You need to determine your level based on USTA NTRP rating. Read below and see where you fit:
• 2.0 This is a beginning player.
• 2.5 This player is learning to judge where the ball is going although court coverage is weak. This player can sustain a slow rally with other players of same ability.
• 3.0 This player is consistent when hitting medium pace shots, but is not comfortable with all strokes and lacks control when trying for directional intent, depth, or power.
• 3.5 This player has achieved improved stroke dependability and direction on moderate pace shots, but still lacks depth and variety. This player exhibits more aggressive net play, has improved court coverage and is developing teamwork in doubles.
• 4.0 This player has dependable strokes, including directional intent, on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate shots, plus the ability to use lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys with some success. This player occasionally forces errors when serving and teamwork in doubles is evident.
• 4.5 This player has begun to master the use of power and spins and is beginning to handle pace, has sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and is beginning to vary tactics according to opponents. This player can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve and is able to rush the net successfully.
• 5.0 This player has good shot anticipation and frequently has an outstanding shot or attribute around which a game may be structured. This player can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short balls, can put away volleys, can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, half volleys and overhead smashes, has good depth and spin on most second serves.
For more details visit: https://www.usta.com/content/dam/usta/pdfs/NTRP%20General%20Characteristics.pdf
Now choose your division:
Open = 4.5+ A = 4.0 B1 = 3.5 B2 = 3.0 C = 2.5 and below
Registration is now open! It will close on Sunday 11/5, so we recommend registering ASAP as spots are limited. With the Team Tennis format, one team captain will have to register a team with a team name. Then the rest of the teammates can register under that team name. The registration system requires that you register either a two, three, or four person team in order to divvy up the cost evenly at registration. Or a team captain can pay the full team fee and organize payment from teammates directly. Please register at the following link:
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you all out on the courts this winter!